Caring for premature babies requires a lot more attention on their nurturing, to allow them to grow and develop in the same way as a regular infant.
During pregnancy, special care needs to be provided to mothers to ensure the safety, the mother and the child’s health.
- Women expecting premature babies are recommended to deliver at a health facility which can provide advanced neonatal care.
- If labor occurs before 34 weeks of pregnancy, the woman is recommended to consult her doctor to receive steroid injections to promote the development of the baby’s lungs.
- Premature babies need to be protected against all infections. Medical examinations and procedures should only be performed when necessary and in an infant warmer.
- Warmth is essential for premature babies. It is recommended babies be dried thoroughly and placed on their mother’s abdomen for a skin-to-skin contact.
- Much like normal babies, it is recommended that premature babies also be breastfed as soon as possible after birth to ensure they receive natural nutrition.
- Babies with serious health conditions are recommended to be placed in an infant incubator where they can receive the appropriate warmth and care to develop and grow.